Case Number: Writ Petition No. 458 of 2020
1. Children’s Charity Bangladesh Foundation (CCB Foundation)
2. Bangladesh Legal Aid & Services Trust (BLAST)
2. Secretary, Ministry of Home Affairs
3. Secretary, Ministry of Women and Children Affairs
4. Secretary, Ministry of Law, Justice and Parliamentary Affairs
5. SEcretary, Ministry of Education
6. Secretary, Ministry of Labour and Employment
7. Secretary, Ministry of Finance
8. Secretary, Ministry of Posts, Telecommunication and Information Technology
9. The Inspector General of Police
10. Chairman, University of Grants Commission, UGC Bhaban
11. Chairman, Director of Department of Labor,
12. Chairman, Department of Information and Communication Technology Division.
The petitioners were represented by Barrister Abdul Halim, who was assisted by Barrister Sharmin Akter (Senior Staff Lawyer of BLAST. Advocate Amit Talukder, Deputy Attorney General with Advocate Samiul Haque Sharkar represented the respondent Ministries.
Rule Nisi was issued to show cause as to why directions should not be passed to provide effective security and safety at all public places in the country, so that commuter, in particular, girls, student girls, working girls and women using access of public areas are not prone ro sexual abuses and rape and to form an expert committee to introduce, produce and/or import personal safety alarms/kits/devises which once activated will in addition to making alarm sound to alert people around, connect to 999 number of the law enforcement agencies so that the offenders of rape and sexual assaults can be identified and spotted instantly and whereby the vicitms of rape, gang-rape, stalking, eve teasing, abduction may be technologically activated and used for better security and efficient and prompt performances of duties by the respondents in tracking and bringing the offenders to justice and/or pass such other or furhter order or orders as to this court may seem fit and proper.
The court further directed the respondent no 8,9, and 12 to form an expert committee with an information technology professor from IT department of Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET) to introduce, produce and/or import personal safety alarms/kits/devices which once activated will in addition to making alarm sound to alter people around, connect to 999 number of the law enforcement agencies so that the offenders of rape, gang-rape, stalking, eve teasing, abduction may be technologically activated and used for better security and efficient and prompt performance of duties by the respondents in tracking and bringing the offenders to justice and also directed to submit the report to the court on an an before 30.03.2020.
Mr. Justice Md. Mostafizur Rahman
Database Last Updated on:
Area of law
Access to Justice
Anti- rape device, protection for rape victim